Below are noteworthy events from Busch Gardens Tampa’s history that occurred in the month of January.
- 3rd – (2016) Last operating day for Sifting Sands, the play area, and Pyramid Joe’s concession stand, both located in the Egypt section.
- 4th – (2016) The entire Egypt section of the park is temporarily closed as part of the Cobra’s Curse project. Sifting Sands and Pyramid Joe’s are removed. Montu goes through a refurbishment, which includes repainting much of the track.
- 5th – (2014) Pele, one of the park’s female gorillas, delivers a stillborn baby.
- 14th – (2010) Hard Hat Tour for media & invited guests held to show progress on Sesame Street Safari of Fun.
- 25th – (1980) Timbuktu officially opens to guests, with new rides, the Festhaus, a dolphin show, and more.
- 25th – (1986) SimSim, a male gorilla, is born at Yerkes Primate Center. He was moved to Busch Gardens’ Myombe Reserve in 1992.
During the Month:
- 1980 – Admission listed as $9.35 per person, with children ages 3 and under free. (Lakeland Ledger 1/26/1980)