Below are noteworthy events from Busch Gardens Tampa’s history that occurred in the month of September.
- 1st – (1982) Park offers “Senior Safari Days” through March 27, 1983. Coupon worth $3.50 off regular admission available at senior centers, mobile home parks, and other organizations across the area. (Ledger 8/20/1982)
- 1st – (1983) Senior Safari Days offer with coupon worth $3.50 off admission available from senior centers, mobile home parks, and other organizations across area. Offer valid through March 25, 1984. (Ledger 8/26/1983)
- 1st – (2015) Park announces free single day admission offer for Florida-based first responders, and up to four additional single day tickets for $50. Offer valid through September 30. (Orlando Sentinel)
- 1st – (2016) Park closed for the day due to threat from Tropical Storm Hermine (becomes hurricane later in day). Twitter
- 2nd – (2014) Falcon’s Fury officially opens after a successful soft opening on August 16.
- 2nd – (2016) Park closed for the second day in a row due to threat from Hurricane Hermine. Twitter
- 5th – 7th – (2015) Park stays open late for Labor Day weekend, until midnight on Saturday and Sunday, and 9 p.m on Monday, with fireworks each night at 9 p.m., preceded by a lip sync challenge at 8:45 p.m. in Gwazi Field. (Press Release)
- 6th– (2010) KaTonga: Musical Tales from the Jungle has its final performances.
- 9th – (2015) Kamari, a female gorilla born earlier in the year, dies at the park. Kamari was suffering from a neurological disorder, and died while under anesthesia for an MRI.
- 9th – 12th – (2017) Park closed for Hurricane Irma preparations. Park remains closed for four days, reopening on the 13th.
- 18th – (2015) An aardvark is born at the park.
- 20th – (1985) The Outlaws and Van-Zant perform concert at 8 p.m. Tickets are $7.95 in advance through Camelot Music stores or $8.95 at the gate. (Ledger 9/13/1985)
- 20th – (2013) New children’s play area themed to Busch Gardens opens at International Plaza mall after five days of construction. The play area features a 14 foot Cheetah Hunt tower, along with other park themed elements. (Press Release)
- 21st – (2011) A female Cape buffalo is born to mother Semara, weighing in at 45 pounds.
During the Month:
- 1973 – Admission listed as $3.75 for adults, $2.50 for children age 6 to 11, and $1 for children under 6. Parking is free. Open daily, hours 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Ledger 9/7/1973)
- 1974 – Admission listed at $4.75 for adults, $3.75 for children age 5 to 11, and free for children under 5. Open daily, hours 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Ledger 9/20/1974)
- 1985 – Through December 21, Senior Safari Days offering a discount of $3.50 off regular admission to those over 55 with a coupon available at senior centers, mobile home communities, and other organizations across area. (Ledger 9/6/1985)
- 1986 – Busch Gardens ranked the third most popular tourist attraction in Florida, behind Walt Disney World and SeaWorld. (Orlando Sentinel 9/21/1986)
- 2012 – Park begins offering maps in Spanish and Portuguese. (Busch Gardens 9/5/2012)