Below are noteworthy events from Busch Gardens Tampa’s history that occurred in the month of May.
- 2nd – 4th – (1980) Over 1200 Girl Scouts attend event at Dark Continent, Adventure Islands, and Busch Gardens Campground (Temple Terrace Beacon – May 22, 1980)
- 2nd – (2014) Heavy rains cause flooding and force the park to remain closed for the day. Several attractions including Cheetah Hunt are affected.
- 6th – (2010) Two male gorillas on Myombe Reserve, father & son pair Koundu & Cenzoo, are transferred to Birmingham Zoo.
- 14th – (2002) A 21 year-old zookeeper loses her right arm below the elbow after having it torn off by 350 lb, 12 year-old lion while giving a behind the scenes tour of the lion sleeping quarters to her parents and boyfriend. (Los Angeles Times 5/14/2002)
- 16th – (1980) Scorpion opens.
- 16th – (1996) Montu officially opens to guests.
- 21st – (2005) SheiKra officially opens to guests.
- 27th – (2011) Cheetah Hunt officially opens to guests.
- 27th – (2016) Serengeti Overlook Restaurant (formerly Crown Colony Restaurant) officially opens with daily service, following a soft open the previous day.
During the Month:
- 1989 – Admission listed at $20.95 with children 2 and under admitted free. (Sun Sentinel 5/14/1989)