Below are noteworthy events from Busch Gardens Tampa’s history that occurred in the month of August.
- 2nd – (2001) Rhino Rally reopens after making safety enhancements in response to the minor accident in June.
- 2nd – (2016) Guest Joseph Corrao, 45, picks up and violently throws to the ground Pinky, a flamingo and popular Animal Ambassador in her habitat in Jambo Junction. Pinky was later euthanized by animal care staff due to the extent of her injuries. Corrao was arrested on a charge of felony animal cruelty. (Tampa Bay Times 8/3/2016)
- 5th – (2011) Brazilian actor Rodrigo Faro and his family visit the park. (Busch Gardens 8/9/2011)
- 5th – (2013) A baby zebra is born, bringing Grevy’s zebra population at the park to eight.
- 5th – (2014) An aardvark is born at the park.
- 5th – (2015) Park offers a Summer BOGO deal, where guests receive a free ticket with purchase of a single day admission at regular price ($97 for adults, $92 for children age 3 to 9). Offer available through August 24, and tickets valid through September 7. (Press Release)
- 7th – (1972) Kishina, a female gorilla, is born at Yerkes Primate Center. She was moved to Busch Gardens’ Myombe Reserve in 1992.
- 7th – (2016) Summer Nights event ends. However, the park actually closes at 7 pm (instead of 9 pm) because of inclement weather earlier in the day, forcing the final Kinetix performance and fireworks to be cancelled.
- 16th – (2014) Falcon’s Fury “soft opens” to guests for the very first time, following several days of successful employee previews.
- 18th – (2016) Oliver, a male gorilla, is born at the park.
- 22nd – (2011) A female eland calf is born, bringing the eland herd population at the park to 11.
- 24th – (1985) Through October 6, “Church Days” offer of $3.50 off regular admission for church groups of 15 or more with advance reservation. (Ledger 8/16/1985)
During the Month:
- 1981 – Total of 44 animal births reported at the park, including a Grevy’s zebra. (Ledger 10/16/1981)
- 1991 – Admission prices listed at $26.45 for ages 3 and above, with parking at $3. (Orlando Sentinel 8/9/1991)
- 2011 – The park rolls out a digital app for iPhone, which includes an interactive map, ride wait times and information, show schedules, “Find My Car” pin drop locator, and more. A version for Android devices rolls out later. Near the end of the month, a new website design is rolled out. (Busch Gardens 8/4/2011 & 8/29/2011)
- 2012 – The park launches an official Instagram account. (Busch Gardens 8/16/2012)