;

Devil’s Island

Home to several species of birds, Devil’s Island was an early avian habitat in the southwest corner of the original Bird Gardens.





History

Devil’s Island was listed on park maps for a number of years from the park’s opening until the 1970s. It was described in a newspaper article as being home to “incorrigible old birds” with their wings clipped.

By 1976, Devil’s Island was no longer designated on maps, and by the late 1980s may have been removed with further development in the area. Devil’s Island was located approximately where Kangaloom is today.


Images

Several postcards from the early years of the park show scenes from around Bird Gardens, including Devil’s Island.

 

Additional details on Devil’s Island will be added in the future.



Sources:

Park Maps | 1960s – 1993 – Author’s Collection
Tampa Times | Mar 30 1959 – accessed 12/23/2020

 

Last update: January 17, 2021